SharePoint-based collaboration offers a compilation of tools for automating employee collaboration and content-related workflows, empowering remote teams to work at the highest
Since the COVID-19 pandemic hit last year, many large corporations have made a move to remote working systems or have scaled up existing systems to enable employees to continue working remotely. On the other hand, there is a huge opportunity for small and medium businesses to adopt digitization and digitalization in their processes, and as a result, reduce operating costs and improve efficiencies. Understandably, the time and cost of investing in enterprise-wide digital transformation may be a deterrent to smaller businesses. However, there are affordable and faster ways to build digital capabilities for your business. This is where Microsoft platforms such as SharePoint can help with your objectives.
Over the last few years, Microsoft SharePoint has emerged as the platform of choice for remote collaboration and project management due to its efficiency, affordability, and scalability. SharePoint’s collaboration features encourage employee engagement, enhance productivity, and facilitate centralized data management, regardless of which location employees are working from or where a particular project is being run. Let’s take a closer look at the features of Microsoft SharePoint and what business benefits they translate to.
What makes SharePoint ideal for remote working teams?
Microsoft SharePoint is a part of the Microsoft 365 suite and built on a cloud framework, making it a truly digital and mobile platform for employees. SharePoint allows businesses to collaborate, share data, and establish secure content flows to enable important day-to-day functions.
SharePoint’s collaboration features provide a reliable and stable ecosystem for remote teams to work and interact with each other, irrespective of where they are located. Here are some key features of SharePoint that make this possible:
- Seamless integrations SharePoint allows for simple and easily manageable integrations to existing business systems or platforms. Being a part of the Microsoft 365 on-premise and cloud suite, it can seamlessly connect and communicate with other Microsoft products. SharePoint is also compatible with ubiquitous technologies such as simple object access protocol (SOAP), extensible mark-up language (XML), and various application programming interfaces (APIs). All these integration capabilities add more flexibility and dependability to the organization’s SharePoint-based collaboration system
- Consolidation of multiple sites Site consolidation is one of the important features of SharePoint that allows users to build multiple intranet sites and portals, and connect and customize them according to the company’s process and data flows. This saves companies time and cost in building new information and project management software or platforms from scratch.
- Cloud framework Microsoft SharePoint is a cloud-based tool offering both computing and storage capabilities on the cloud. Through SharePoint, one can easily connect with different applications and LOB systems used by the organization from anywhere, and in no time. Additionally, a cloud foundation eliminates the cost and time that would otherwise go into setting up, securing, and maintaining on-premise infrastructure.
- Advanced metasearch with high responsiveness Time plays a crucial role when multiple teams work and interact remotely. SharePoint makes all documents and lists, along with a vast collection of other essential data, accessible to anybody within the enterprise network using Microsoft 365. It further eases the process of finding information through an advanced metasearch engine that classifies files based on metadata. This metadata goes beyond just the filename or author, as it allows users to discover documents by searching for keywords and phrases from the document contents. The high responsiveness feature thus saves employees ample time and helps maintain seamless workflows.
- Enhanced security and compliance For growing digital businesses, security and compliance with regulations are important, and often challenging, considerations. Microsoft 365 and SharePoint empower businesses with a robust and secure network that safeguards sensitive documents, information, and other critical business assets. It also provides a safe passage to transfer information with controlled accessibility through multiple authentication mechanisms.
Benefits of SharePoint’s collaboration features for digital, remote teams
Starting from effective collaboration to vital content management, Microsoft SharePoint has emerged as one of the most powerful digital enterprise platforms. Organizations ranging from conglomerates to small and medium-sized businesses use SharePoint to enhance productivity, reduce IT setup time and costs, and standardize business workflows. SharePoint’s capabilities are further augmented with the platform’s ability to integrate with other Microsoft solutions such as Power Apps and Power BI, among others, to help create a well-structured operational framework for both remote and in-office teams.
As organizations and employees adapt to the new normal or remote working and digital collaboration, SharePoint and Microsoft apps are well-positioned to help lead the shift to remote working for growing businesses. Based on the features discussed above, here is are some key benefits businesses can experience with these functionalities:
- Accessibility and reliability Employees can log in to their SharePoint from a laptop or mobile device from any location. They can remotely access their work files on the consolidated, company-wide cloud network, thus providing a reliable, stable, and secure digital ecosystem.
- Collaboration and customization SharePoint is an effective tool that adds to the efficiency of teams and their processes through real-time collaboration. Some key collaboration features include sites and intranets to manage functional teams and processes, real-time document sharing, task lists, and more. Moreover, SharePoint also allows customizing channels in accordance with the needs of the business and functional departments.
- Process efficiency tracking One of the most important features of SharePoint is that it can integrated with Power BI to apply advanced analytics and evaluate the effectiveness of processes. Reports can be created on Power BI with analyses of tasks, processes, and projects on a team and organization level, with descriptive and prescriptive insights that help project managers and organizational leaders optimize process and project efficiencies.
- Business insights SharePoint integrates with Microsoft Power BI, a data analytics and visualization tool to enable organizations to track and analyze project duration and progress, business development opportunities, current business position, and other crucial metrics. All these data points and the insights gathered from them enable business leaders to take more informed decisions by considering all important parameters.
- Structured document management SharePoint allows the creation of essential documents with multi-level categorization, that can be shared easily with the intended users. Moreover, documents on SharePoint can be edited mutually, duly signed, published, stored, and transferred to relevant users, sites, or databases as per specific workflows. At the same time, the integrity of each document can be ensured at all times by assigning access to only those individuals with the authority to view them.
- Centralized workflow and administrative control SharePoint stores all the relevant data in a centralized location which the core system administrators can easily access and control. Admins can, therefore, manage permissions, integrations, and security for the entire SharePoint and Microsoft 365 ecosystem in real time and centrally, on the cloud.
Add business value and improve employee experiences with SharePoint
SharePoint is an all-inclusive project management tool offering reliability and ease of use to both remote and in-office teams. Deploying SharePoint along with Microsoft 365 on the cloud can give small and medium-sized businesses transition seamlessly to a digital business model and remote operations, affordably and quickly. Irrespective of the users’ physical location, SharePoint’s content management capabilities streamline workflows, enabling core operational teams and administrative management to create, share, transfer, and publish essential documents through a secure cloud channel.
VBeyond Digital can work with you to set up SharePoint sites, workflows, and asset libraries so your remote teams can reap the benefits of real-time collaboration. More importantly, as part of our SharePoint services, we place special emphasis on ensuring that all industry best practices are adhered to help you derive maximum value from your deployment.
Contact us now to discuss your requirements and get started with SharePoint.